Categories of enrollment
A. Full-time enrollment
- Enrolment for the Ph.D. Degree shall ordinarily be full-time. The candidate shall put in a minimum of three-years residence of which at least 18 months shall be in NLU Delhi. During this period, the candidate may be attached to a supervisor and the candidate may assist the supervisor in teaching at NLU Delhi. After this period, a candidate may be permitted to conduct research work outside NLU Delhi. There shall thus be provision for the candidate to earn credits for research work done outside NLU Delhi.
- Five years shall be the maximum period within which a full time candidate should complete the doctoral research and submit the thesis for evaluation. However, this time is extendable up to one year in two extensions of six months each, in case the candidate requests in writing for such extension. This is subject to the approval of the doctoral committee on recommendation of the Research Advisory Committee.
B. Part-time enrollment
- There shall be provision for part-time enrolment for the Ph.D. Degree. A part-time candidate shall put in a minimum of four years of part-time study, and this includes the time spent for research at any other place with the permission of the supervisor.
- The part-time candidates shall be in residence in NLU Delhi for at least a total period of two semesters spread over the five-year period. However, persons working at senior level such as a Judge in the High Court / Supreme Court, a senior Advocate in Supreme Court and Judicial Officers (with LL.M. degree and ten years experience as Judicial Officer) and IAS/IPS/IRS and allied Services Officer (with LL.M. degree and 10 years experience as IAS/IPS/IRS and allied Services Officer recruited through UPSC) may be exempted from the said residence requirement on the condition that they should complete the certificate course in research methodology within six months after admission.
- Five years shall be the maximum period in which a part-time candidate shall complete the research work and submit it for evaluation. However, this time is extendable up to one year in two extensions of six months each in case the candidate requests in writing for such extension. This is subject to the approval of the doctoral committee on recommendation of the research advisory committee.
- Conversion from either part-time to full-time or from full-time to part-time will be permitted only with the approval of the Doctoral Committee. All cases of pre and post-employment of candidates, including JRF and SRF, will be considered and approved by the Doctoral Committee.
Monitoring the research work
- In cases of both part-time and full-time enrolment, the supervisor of the candidate shall ensure adequate and constant monitoring of the research work done outside the campus by the candidates by insisting on production of adequate proof of work done.
Expiry/Lapse of Enrollment
- Enrolment for the Ph.D. shall be deemed to have lapsed after six years from the date of enrolment in case of both full-time candidates and part-time candidates.
- The women candidates and differently enabled candidates (more than 40% disability) may be allowed a relaxation of two years for Ph.D. in the maximum duration. In addition, the women candidates may be provided Maternity Leave/Child Care Leave once in the entire duration of Ph.D., for up to 240 days.